A car accident can have serious consequences, especially if someone was killed or severely injured. If you are a victim, you already have to put up with a lot of stress, deal with your injuries, extended damages to your vehicle and also think about a potential legal claim. That’s why, it is highly recommended to seek a knowledgeable lawyer who will be ready to help you go through the legal process and pursue your rights.
Main types of car and traffic accidents
Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers provide you with years of experience in the field of car accidents. Besides, we are also specialized in:
- Truck crashes;
- Motorcycle accidents;
- Rear-end car accidents;
- Rollover car accidents;
- Traffic accidents;
- Pedestrian and bicycle collisions;
- Hit-and-run car accidents;
- Head-on collisions;
- Side-impact car crashes.
Distracted driving in Houston, Texas
In recent years, the increasing use of technology led to a dangerous conclusion: the number of distracted drivers is on the rise which makes Texas roads even more dangerous than before. Only in 2012, 50% of all Texas drivers admitted to frequently use their cellphones while driving.
According to statistics, almost 80% of crashes and 65% of near-crashes involve a distracted driver. Frequent distracted driving behaviors that lead to car wrecks involve:
- Driver’s lack of attention;
- Talking on the phone or texting;
- Trying to reach for a moving object inside the car;
- Eating or drinking while driving;
- Checking media devices;
- Reading or applying makeup.
If you were injured in a car accident and believe it was caused by a distracted driver, contact the experienced attorneys from Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers. We will promptly start an in-depth investigation to determine the causes of the crash and find proof of negligence. So far, we have successfully proved distracted driving for numerous clients based in Houston and surrounding areas (Pearland, Brazoria County, Galveston, Fort Bend, Harris).
Leading causes of car accidents
Besides distracted driving, there are other common causes of car accidents, including:
- Driving while sleep deprived;
- DUI or DWI (driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol);
- Roadway conditions (poor signage, inadequate road design);
Types of car accident legal claims
Faulty Road Design. Some of car accidents are caused by defective design, construction or poor maintenance of public roads, for instance:
- Poor signage for crossings, sharp turns or intersections;
- Traffic lights, stop signs;
- Poorly designed or placed barriers, guard rails, speed bumps, and curbs.
If a car accident was caused by a faulty component of the vehicle (such as defective tires, airbags, seatbelts, accelerators or brakes) the victim can file a lawsuit against the car manufacturer or the manufacturer of that specific car part. The company can be liable if it’s proven that the injuries were caused by a defective product design, manufacturing, or labeling. Moreover, the injured victim (the plaintiff) also has to prove that:
· The car was being operated as intended;
- The car’s performance wasn’t changed since it was bought;
· The defective part was “unreasonably dangerous”.
Wrongful Death. If you lost a family member in a car crash, you can seek a lawyer to help you file a wrongful death lawsuit. In this case, you have to prove the defendant’s negligence.
Negligence. When car accident lawsuits are be based on negligence, the plaintiff has to show evidence that the defendant was at fault (acted carelessly or violated traffic laws). Therefore, in such cases, defendants can be: intoxicated drivers, passengers, reckless drivers, inattentive cyclists or pedestrians.
Texas statute of limitations
If you have been injured in a car accident, you have a limited amount of time to file a legal claim against the guilty party. This limit is called “statute of limitations” and differs by state. In Texas, you have two years from the date of the car accident. If you need an experienced lawyer to handle your claim, contact Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers immediately, so you can move on with your life.
Severe injuries caused by car accidents
There is a broad range of injuries which can be caused by car accidents, for instance:
- Brain and spinal cord injuries;
- Broken bones;
- Internal organ damage;
- Back injuries;
- Nerve damage;
- Loss of limbs.
Victims of car accidents have the right to claim monetary compensation which should cover:
- Present and future medical expenses (medical care, surgery, assistive devices, transportation to and from hospitals);
- Car damages;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- physical pain and suffering;
- Lost wages for the time between the accident and until the lawsuit ends;
- Loss of earning potential;
- Emotional pain or distress caused by the car crash;
- Loss of intimacy and support (if the victim is married, the uninjured spouse could seek compensation for loss of comfort, sexual relations and affection).
In some cases, punitive damages apply. Punitive damages are considered only when it’s proven that the guilty driver intended to do harm and they are meant to publicly discourage such malicious actions.
Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help
So far, Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers offered legal support to many Texas clients, particularly from Houston and surrounding areas (Pearland, Brazoria County, Galveston, Fort Bend, Harris). After we start a collaboration, we will take the proper steps and start to:
- Analyze the time of phone usage;
- Request official cell phone records;
- Examine police reports;
- Analyze eyewitness testimony;
- Review traffic camera and video footage;
- Retrace driver’s activities prior to the crash, to see if he bought food or drinks.
To make sure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, contact Pearland Personal Injury Lawyers today and schedule a free initial consultation. We are here to offer our support and legal assistance.